At Monte Design our goal is to produce well-made design driven products while using sustainable high-quality materials, local suppliers and to manufacture in a responsible way. We aim to minimize the impact our products have on our indoor air environment, and the planet in general.
Here are a few steps we have taken to make our products better for the environmental and your health:
- Our foam is locally manufactured in part from natural seed-based oils such as soybean, decreasing the dependence on fossil fuels like petroleum and ultimately lessening greenhouse gas emissions. It is halogen free and free of mercury, lead and other heavy metals. It does not contain any CFC's, PBDE's or TDCPP (Tris). Our foam is free of any harmful flame retardant chemicals (FR's). Furniture manufacturers are not required to use non-FR foam – it is a choice that we have made to ensure a healthier indoor air environment for you and your family.
- Our foam is also a high density, high grade and low emission (low VOC) foam. This ensures that it maintains its strength and durability over many years while having a low impact on the air you breathe. For additional information on our foam please visit www.certipur.us and BioH www.bioh.com.
- All the wood we use meets the requirements of the LEED Rating System for wood adhesives (no urea formaldehyde added), and the glue used in frame construction is water-based and biodegradable. Further, the wood we use is certified by the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) meaning forestry companies are independently audited to meet the FSC's strict forest management standards. Our wood suppliers re-plant an average of 3-4 trees for each one harvested. Our wood is also locally sourced (North America).
- All of our polyester fabric and thread options are manufactured according to Oeko-Tex® Standard 100, meeting globally uniform and scientifically-based test criteria (textile and human ecologically relevant). This standard ensures that no hazardous chemicals are used in the manufacturing process. www.oeko-tex.com
- In addition to our standard performance fabrics we offer all natural Italian made cotton/linen fabric options. These fabric options are biodegradable, untreated and contain no highly fluorinated chemicals. They are also Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certified and REACH compliant.
- Our U.S.A made, patented gliding and reclining mechanisms are made of 95% recycled steel and are free of lead-based paint or finishes. The mechanisms are made with low-solvent, water-based paints and no-solvent powder coating materials, thereby reducing or eliminating solvent air emissions and solvent waste.
- All the glues that are used in our Toronto manufacturing facility are water-based and made in Europe.
- All our shipping boxes are made in Canada from over 95% recycled materials.
- Our final, fully upholstered products are custom made in our local Toronto warehouse to ensure high quality and customer satisfaction.
These are only part of an on-going effort at Monte Design to manufacture the safest, eco-friendly furniture and to lessen the impact we have on our delicate eco-system. While our goal is to provide exceptional comfort and style, we also want to ensure that we provide a safe and healthy environment for the future.